Sunday, February 9, 2020

Best of the Year 2019: Movie (Oscars edition)

TL;DR: I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is hand-crafted to win Tarantino the Best Picture award.

I saw a lot of movies in 2019. In my catching up, I've seen almost all the Best Film nominees. Maybe it was off-year, but I don't feel like there's stand-out classic that just screams to be "the best". I haven't yet seen Marriage Story. I don't think I'll ever see Jojo Rabbit. And Little Women is probably a no-go. Maybe the worst blockbuster was Star Wars IX, but I may post about that psychological tornado later.

I think history will remember Tarantino's Pulp Fiction as his best film, but his magnum opus is probably ...Hollywood. Think about the Academy voters--those Boomers will gobble up the heavy LA nostalgia. Meanwhile, the Gen-Xers will just blindly vote anything Tarantino. It's a shoe-in.


http://www.nombres-animados.net/Letra-O/Oscar/Nombre-animado-Oscar-18.gif


Here's my list of best seven eight of 2019:
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Doctor Sleep
  • Glass
  • Knives Out
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  • 1917
  • Parasite
  • Us
I didn't pick a best. Maybe Parasite? I'd bet Uncut Gems is awesome too, but I haven't yet seen it.

P.S. Joker is good but overrated. If I hadn't seen or heard of King of Comedy I would probably think Joker is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moving some posts to Medium and elsewhere

There may be some video game or gardening posts here, but many of my blog and non-blog posts will be visible elsewhere, mostly likely my per...